On January, 16th, 1914 G.F. Proskura has headed hydraulic laboratory and on its basis has created faculty of a hydromechanics. During the Second World War the Institute was evacuated to the Urals, where a number of academic institutions were created on its basis.
Immediately after the war, the Energy Institute of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine was divided into two institutions: the Institute of Heat Power Engineering of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the Electrical Institute of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine with location in Kiev.
At the same time, the Kharkov branch of the Institute of Heat Power Engineering of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine was formed, which was by the offer of G.F. Proskura in 1948 merged with the Laboratory of high-speed machines of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, formed by him in the war.
Led by academician G.F. Proskura the Laboratory addressed tasks assigned to science, including assignments for increasing the power, reliability and durability of the turbomachinery. During this period, special attention was paid to the study of hydraulic machines.
In 1955, the Laboratory for high-speed machines and mechanisms of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine by the offer of G.F. Proskura was reorganized into the Laboratory of Hydraulic Machines of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, which, by the recommendation of G.F. Proskura was headed by the academician of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, A.P. Filippov.
Famous scientists who worked at the Department of hydraulic machines:
G.F. Proskura (28.04.1876-30.10.1958)
A prominent scientist, the founder of scientific school for hydraulic machines engineering and aviation in Ukraine, member of the Bureau and Chairman of the Department of Technical Sciences of Ukraine, honored worker of science and technology, winner of the Stalin Prize. He served as a rector of Kharkiv Institute of Technology (KhTI now NTU “KPI”), then for a long period he worked as a dean of the Mechanical Faculty and for 44 years – as a head of the Department of “Hydraulic Machines”.
Mikhail Iosipovich Gurevich
A student of Academician G.F. Proskura , an outstanding aircraft designer, co-author of the series of “MiG” and cruise missiles, laureate of Lenin and six Stalin Prizes, Ph.D.
Shmuglyakov Lazar Solomonovich (15.12.1895-19.07.1968)
Student of academician G.F. Proskura, PhD, renowned scholar and teacher, professor of the Department of “Hydraulic Machines” (1925-1968), Dean of the Faculty of power engineering (1939-1941 and 1944-1949) in Kharkiv Mechanical Engineering Institute (HMMI – now NTU “KPI”)
Rafales-Lamarckian Ernest Ernestovich
Student of G.F. Proskura, professor, PhD, founder of the scientific school for hydrodynamic methods of coal preparation in Ukraine and the use of computer technology calculation.
Aleksapolsky Dmitry Yakovlevich()
Professor, Doctor of Science, from 1958 to 1975 – Head of the Department of Hydraulic machines, renowned scholar and teacher, student, colleague and follower of Ukrainian academician G.F. Proskura, founder of the scientific school in the field of pump engineering in Ukraine.
Now following apprentices and followers of the academician G.F.Proskura, specialists in the field of hydraulic machines engineering work at the Department of Hydraulic machines:
- Head of the Department of Hydraulic machines, Prof., Dr. Sc. Cherkashenko M.
- Prof., Ph.D. Zavyalov P.S.;
- Prof., Ph.D. Kolychev V.A.;
- Prof., Ph.D. Lurie Z.Y.;
- Prof., Ph.D. Potetenko O.V.