The Department of Cross-cultural Communication and Foreign Language was established in 2004. It provides English, German and French for Specific Purposes for undergraduates, master and doctoral students in their professional spheres and specialties for the faculties:
- “Business and Finance”;
- “Computer Science and Information Technologies”;
- Mechanical and Technological;
- Engineering Physics;
- “Computer Science and Programme Engineering”.
In 2015 the Department started to provide Masters’ training within a graduate program in specialty 061 «Journalism» – speciality 061-01 “Media communications”. The Department is headed by Doctor of Sociology, Doctor of Philology (Russia), Professor Olena Ihgorivna Goroshko.
The Faculty is represented by 18 teachers of English, German and French languages, among them there is 1 Doctor of Science and 7 Candidates of Sciences.
The staff of the Department: Professor, Doctor of Sociology Goroshko O.I.; Associate Professor, Candidate of Sciences Larchenko V.V.; Associate Professor, Candidate of Sciences Saienko O.M., Professor, Candidate of Sciences Tomilin O.M.; Associate Professor, Candidate of Sciences Zemliakova O.O.; Associate Professor, Candidate of Sciences Pavlova L.V.; Associate Professor, Candidate of Sciences Salionovych L.M..; Associate Professor, Candidate of Sciences Khyzhnyak К.V., Associate Professor Grebennik A.Y., Associate Professor Komova G.V., Associate Professor Netetska Т.M., Associate Professor Rubtsova V.V., Senior Teacher Shakhmatova O.V., Senior Teacher Tarasova G.S., Teacher Volkova N.G., Teacher Koliada V.V., Teacher Neustroeva G.O.
The teaching staff presents highly professional, creative and experienced team.
The research work of the Department is directed on carrying out scientific researches, participation in scientific projects, conferences and seminars, encouraging undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of the University to participate in all-Ukrainian competitions and conferences.
The Complex Research Topic of the Department is « Modern Social Communication». In the frame of this research the following issues are developed:
a) professional, academic and cross-cultural communication ;
b) modern methods of teaching Foreign Languages for Specific Purposes;
c) PR (public relations);
d) e-learning, e-learning 2.0;
e) computer-mediated communication;
f) media communication.
Special attention at the Department is paid to the study of Computer-Mediated Communication (including Computer-Mediated Communication in Convergent Media), as well as to the problem of e-learning.
During 2016-2017 academic year the members of the Department took part in several reserach and practice conferences, forums and seminars including 4 international ones. 1 learning guide, 1 monograph and 8 scientific articles were published.
Master Degree students took part in 3 conferences, published 5 articles and 6 conference abstracts.
The administration of the Department concluded cooperation agreements with Polotsk State University (Belarus) and Person Publishing House. The cooperation agreement with Ariel University was renewed.
Associate professor Khyzhniak K.V. completed a long-term training at Ariel University (Israel) (26 June — 23 November 2016 and 24 January — 24 May 2017) and did a course «Personal empirical scientific work».
Education and Practice
Annually the Department organizes:
The first round of the Olympiad on foreign languages, the winners of which take part in the Second round all-Ukrainian Olympiad on foreign languages;
• Student teams preparation for participation in professional competitions. In 2013 the NTU KhPI team took the first place in the Golden Compass, national contest of PR projects (team leader Professor O.I. Goroshko);
• Series of seminars «the Internet – technologies in Educational Process in Tertiary» in the framework of the interuniversity seminar «Modern Pedagogical Technologies in Education» (lecturer – Professor Goroshko O.I.);
• Scientific seminars with Professor P. Zemlyansky participation from Mason University, USA – the head of the program «Creating a Curricular Structure for Professional Writing» ,
• Student research conferences in the field of cross – cultural communication and the new essence of the global world (Associate Professor V. Larchenko) ,
• «Round Tables» in English on professional topics, involving undergraduates and doctoral students of NTU KhPI.
Educational work of the Department is carried out in terms of orientation in the process of learning to use educational materials, which were obtained during the research seminars, scientific conferences and practical workshops and advanced training programmes. We work with the emphasis on communicative strategies; the development and introduction of pedagogical innovation into educational process (active and problematic education); cases and projects; encouraging presentation of the new material, thematic discussion; collective and reciprocal education; innovative technologies: organizing creative and role-play approach.
The department provides the following disciplines for the specialties:
072 Finance, Banking and Insurance
076 Entrepreneurship, Trade and Exchange Activity
121 Software Engineering
122 Computer Sciences
123 Computer Engineering
“Second Foreign Language”
«Public Relations» and «Theory of Communications»
«Development of Information Society Theories» and «Mass Communications Sociology»
«Foreign Language on Speciality» (Master’s programmes)
122 Computer Sciences
123 Computer Engineering
«Foreign Language for Communication in Professional Sphere»
PhD degree seekers
Training for department educators is conducted according to the schedule in the following ways :
1. Participation in NTU “KhPI” intramural seminars.
2. Participation in the scientific seminars and practical workshops in higher educational institutions of Kharkov, Ukraine and foreign countries.
3. Distance learning with foreign language courses for special purposes to improve teaching practices and to develop courses and teaching materials. A certificate is handed out upon the completion of the courses.